Friday, October 9, 2009

The great best of the 00’s novel countdown

Musing over the Millions list, I tried to come up with a top-20 list of books I read that were published between 2000 and 2009. Soon it grew to 30 books with another 40 or 50 or so also-rans. In part, this phenomenon is the result of the fact that 1) I tend to over-rate books; and 2) When I laid out the top 20, I found I had left out a lot of books that will make me look good for having read them. I'll make separate lists for the best books I read in this time period that were published earlier as well as a nonfiction list (heavy on history and theology). Also, I publish a best books I read during the year list on Jan. 1 on Amazon.com, which I'll post to Facebook and Blogger. But anyway, I'm going to do a countdown of the best novels 2000-2009; I'm going to do the top 60, and I'm going to publish a blog post each day in ascending order starting Nov. 1 and wrapping up Dec. 30. In the off change I read a great book that I have to squeeze on the list, I'll accommodate it. This will give me a chance to figure out how to post photos to Blogger.

The problem is, several books that I might have put on the list -- Yiddish Policeman's Union, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, Time Traveler's Wife, Special Topics in Calamity Physics, Emperor's Children, The Good Life, The Confusion, Cryptonomicon, the Enclave -- I simply haven't gotten around to reading. So this list might change in the next couple of years as I read more of these books. This also will be a very unusual, idiosyncratic list. But it will be fun – I feel like Casey Kasem.

No comments: