Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Top 60 Novels of 2000-2009 Countdown: No. 57


"Lives of the Circus Animals" by Christopher Bram

I had the pleasure of reading this novel right before my wife and I went to New York for a conference. I hadn't been in New York in a long, long time, and this novel took me back to the familiar milieu of the theater. I worked at New Dramatists for about three years in the mid-1980s, and although I was something of a bust as a junior theater administrator, and New York in the 1980s was dangerous and dirty, I enjoyed soaking in, at a distance, the lives of creative types. This novel brought it all back, although it is set at a much later time. The large cast of characters were enjoyable to observe, particularly the British actor who's appearing in some non-taxing musical, and the second-string New York Times theater critic, who gets shot. Anyway, it's a fun book, and it was more fun because I got to see again the places the book mentioned almost immediately after finishing the novel.

No comments: