Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Book challenges

So I'm attempting some more book challenges this year, although I think I completed maybe two of the six or seven I signed up for last year. For example, in 2010, I read three of the four South Asian challenge I had committed two (all by R.K. Narayan) and two of the four "chunkster" -- Narayan again (three novels in one volume) and Chronic City. I nearly completely blew the commit to 20 titles challenge. I did more or less complete the Twenty-Ten challenge, although I didn't post reviews. So I'm going to rejoin a few for 2011 and see how it goes:

Chunkster challenge -- I'm going to do this at the Plump Primer level, meaning six books with more than 450 pages. This may turn into Does This Book Make My Butt Look Large challenge, but I think six books of more than 450 pages is reasonable with no grad school to get in the way. 


2011 Support Your Local Library Challenge -- I'll commit to reading 12 library books (pretty much standard for me). 


2011 Short Story Collection Challenge -- There doesn't seem to be a goal here, but I usually read a few of these each year, so let's go for it. I'll post to this one when I read a collection. 


2011 TBR Challenge -- OK, I failed at this last year, but again, I should be able to read 12 books in 12 months that I plan to read. The advantage of this one is that I can cross-list some of the other challenges. I already have to own them. So here's my list of 12 books I'm going to try to read this year:


Freedom by Jonathan Franzen (Chunkster)
Sunnyside by Glen David Gold (Chunkster)
The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon
Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel (Chunkster)
Angelology by Danielle Trussoni
Generation A by Douglas Coupland
Riders in the Chariot by Patrick White (Chunkster)
Darkmans by Nicola Barker (Chunkster)
Framley Parsonage by Anthony Trollope (Chunkster, I think)
Let the Great World Spin by Colin McCann
God's Almost Chosen Peoples by George Rable
The Social Transcript by Charles Osburn 


2011 New Authors Challenge -- I'll try to read 15 books by authors whose work I haven't read before. This will be easier than it sounds; several of the writers on the list above qualify. 

Global Reading Challenge -- This one is reading two books from each continent barring Antarctica -- again, this one is something I can do in conjunction with other challenges. 



Twenty-Eleven challenge -- I don't know about the novella option, but I think I can handle the rest of these. 


The problem here is that I've signed up for a lot of fiction challenges and there are several nonfiction books I want to read as well, so let's see how it goes here. Sometimes, the best thing to do is read for leisure, and not according to some artificial timetable, but what the heck. 







No comments: