Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Top 10 Tuesday: Top 10 series I have yet to finish

Top 10 series I have yet to finish, for Top 10 Tuesdays:

1. Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies: I read Fifth Business, the first book, in the 1980s; perhaps at the end of this year or next year, I will re-read Fifth Business and read the other two books. I've read Davies' Cornish Trilogy, and I also want to read the two books in the series he didn't live to finish -- Murther and the Walking Spirits and The Cunning Man.

2. The Behemoth series by Scott Westerfeld: I keep meaning to read the third in this series, Goliath, but I never get around to it. I listened to the first two books; you lose the illustrations (although I picked up hardback copies at the library and browsed through them), but you gain Alan Cumming's excellent performance.

3. Princess of Roumania series by Paul Park: I read the first one about eight years ago, and I bought the three succeeding volumes. But I have not read them. Shame on me.

4. Glass Book of the Dream Eaters series by Gordon Dahlquist: I ready Vol. 1 of the first book; I need to read the second volume and the subsequent books, The Dark Volume and The Chemickal Marriage. (The last one was supposed to be published in 2012, but it appears it was only available in Great Britain.)

5. The Barchester Chronicles series by Anthony Trollope: I read Barchester Towers and Doctor Thorne in the 1990s, and I started Framley Parsonage. Perhaps in 2013 I will finish this series.

6. The Rabbit series by John Updike: I keep saying Updike is my favorite author, yet I have not read the middle two books in this series: Rabbit Redux and Rabbit is Rich. I read Rabbit, Run in college and loved it; then I read Rabbit at Rest in 1990, when it came out, and loved it all the more. Also, I read the coda that appears in the collection Licks of Love.

7. The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett: I've only scratched the surface of Pratchett's wonderful world; I've read more recent volumes -- Snuff, Thud, The Truth, Thief of Time, the Fifth Elephant, Maskerade and Hogfather. I also have read the Tiffany Aching cycle. But now I need to go back and read the earlier books, starting with Colour of Magic.

8. The Spud series by John van de Ruit: The first book, marketed in the United States as a YA title, is a hilarious look at a boys' school in South Africa near the end of apartheid. The second novel, written in the form of  a diary, was published in the United States, but the third apparently was published only in South Africa. That would make it difficult to finish the series.

9. The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher: I picked up this series more or less in the middle, and I've read three titles. I'd now like to catch up to where Butcher has taken the series.

10. The Greywalker series: I read the first two in the series, Greywalker and Poltergeist, but now I see I'm way far behind -- by about five. Will I catch up?

A series I'm not going to finish: The Inheritance cycle. I gave up after Eldest.

No comments: