Wednesday, February 2, 2011

WWW Wednesdays

In response to the WWW Wednesdays thread at Should Be Reading: 


What I'm reading now: Swamplandia! by Karen Russell. I'm about a third of the way through. So far, it's moving between a coming-of-age story about a girl growing up on an alligator farm-tourist trap and her brother's descent into a high-tech devilish theme park. I'm not sure the tones are compatible, but the novel has unexpected moments of humor. I'm also listening to The Quality of Life Report by Meghan Daum because I could check it out through the Tuscaloosa Public Library's NetLibrary audiobook service.

What I recently finished: I finally finished listening to The Emperor's Children by Claire Messud after starting to listen to it last year (I was foiled by procrastination and technical problems). I also finished Heidegger's Glasses by Thaisa Frank, a probing look at surviving unspeakable situations and something of a satire on the Third Reich.

What I'm planning to read next: I suppose I want to start God's Almost Chosen Peoples, a history of religion during the Civil War, but I think I'll instead read either Our Tragic Universe by Scarlett Thomas or The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer.

No comments: